RELIGIOUS EDUCATION (RE)
While you are at home, this is a great time to continue learning about the many different religions and beliefs that exist in the world.
We learn about all of the major religions and belief systems in our RE lessons, to help us understand more about our own beliefs and those of others.
Places of Worship
Muslims all around the world are now observing the Islamic holy month of Ramadan. Learn all about this special time for Muslims by completing this new project - there are lots of videos to watch and some activities to try at home!
Why RE is important
We want Sheringham children to know about and learn from a wide range of religions so that they can better understand the community and the world that they live in. Through learning and discussions, children will be able to engage in their own beliefs and those of others, developing their critical thinking, reflecting on their values and respecting the views of others.
In our local area we are lucky enough to be surrounded by rich diversity and a variety of cultures and through Religious Education children to develop the British values of Mutual Respect and Tolerance as well as Individual Liberty. RE lessons develop our pupil’s curiosity, awe and wonder about the world.
How our RE curriculum is designed
RE is taught in blocks of one to two weeks, several times a year. These blocks are aligned so that the whole school is learning about RE at the same time, allowing for meaningful link making and sharing opportunities
How children learn in RE
Sheringham children will…
- Visit local places of worship including mosques, churches and temples.
- Visit the The City of London Cemetery and local burial sites.
- Listen to speakers from different communities and belief systems, including religious leaders, family members and staff.
- Respectfully listen to other people’s world views, understanding and appreciating the variety of faiths and opinions held.
- Have opportunities to share their learning beyond their class, contributing to sharing assemblies and presentations.
- Share their own experiences and knowledge and reflect on the values the hold.