WELCOME TO RECEPTION!
Please check your child’s PE day and ensure they are dressed in appropriate PE uniform on these days (jogging bottoms/leggings/white t-shirt, jumper and trainers)
Monday - R1 - Ms E
Tuesday - R2 - Ms Edwards
Wednesday - R3 - Ms Panks
Spring 2 Curriculum
In our carpet sessions, small group work and within free-flow, these are some of the things children will be learning this half term:
- Listening to others and responding appropriately
- Becoming more resilient eg. keep trying when faced with a challenge
Our continual provision covers the full Early Years Foundation Stage curriculum, which you can explore here. Children will have lots of time every day to learn within the provision both inside and outside, both independently and with the support of their friends and adults in the environment.
Though our topic ‘Plants and Animals’ we will be learning:
- To talk about the different environments that animals live - eg. under the sea, in the jungle, in the desert, in the arctic
- To ask questions
- To find information
- To present information we have found to others
- To use different materials, resources and techniques to create pictures of animals and plants
Reading and Phonics
We will be reading high quality texts to engage children and spark their imagination. We will use these books as a stimulus for drama, role-play and artwork to develop understanding and language.
In phonics children will continue to learn sounds, following the RWI programme. They will use these sounds to read words/books appropriate to their reading level.
Each Friday, children will bring home a phonics book for you to read together and talk about - please return these on a Wednesday. You can also use the Reading Eggs programme to support your children’s learning.
Please continue to use your child’s R@homebook to record all the fantastic reading you are doing at home. Please talk to your child about what they are reading and remember, reading the same book over and over helps children to develop confidence and fluency in reading.
During freeflow learning time, Early Years practitioners will be working with children to:
- Hear the sounds in words that we want to write and begin to segment CVC words eg. cat, mop, tin
- Begin to write short phrases with CVC words
- Begin to form letters correctly on a line
Our maths learning will focus on:
- Different ways to make 10 using 2 numbers
- Which number is more and fewer
- And explaining our understanding
Our theme this half term is ‘Dreams and Goals’ where we will be thinking about how we are proud of our achievements and how to overcome challenges.
Find out more about RWI phonics
Regular use of our supporting reading program online will help your child to progress in phonics (speak to your teacher if you have lost your username and password)
Build your child’s coordination with a mouse and keyboard