WELCOME TO RECEPTION!
Please check your child’s PE day and ensure they are dressed in appropriate PE uniform on these days (jogging bottoms/leggings/white t-shirt, jumper and trainers)
Monday - R1 - Ms E
Tuesday - R2 - Ms Edwards
Wednesday - R3 - Ms Panks
Autumn 2 Curriculum
In our carpet sessions, small group work and within free-flow, these are some of the things children will be learning this half term:
- Developing independence - eg. putting my coat/gloves on by myself and being responsible for looking after my own belongings.
- Listening and responding to my learning partner on the carpet.
- Speaking in a small group.
Our continual provision covers the full Early Years Foundation Stage curriculum, which you can explore here. Children will have lots of time every day to learn within the provision both inside and outside, independently and with the support of their friends and adults in the environment.
Though our topic ‘Traditional Tales’ we will be learning :
- To retell familiar stories
- To order events
- To follow instructions
- To make up our own stories
Reading and Phonics
We will be reading high quality texts to engage children and spark their imagination. We will use these books as a stimulus for drama, role-play and artwork to develop understanding and language.
In Phonics children will learn ‘a sound a day’ based on the RWI programme. They will use these sounds to begin blending and reading words independently. If you would like to know what sounds we are learning each week please talk to your teacher.
Each Friday, children will bring home a book for you to read together and talk about - please return these on a Wednesday.
R@Homebooks will be sent home soon. Please talk to your child about what they are reading and remember, reading the same book over and over helps children to develop enjoyment, confidence and fluency in reading.
During freeflow learning time, practitioners will be working with children to:
- Develop finger strength through activities such as playdough manipulation, lego and threading.
- Use the rhymes we have learnt in phonics to write sounds/letters.
- Hear the sounds in words that we want to write and begin to segment (spell) CVC words eg. cat, mop, tin.
Our maths learning will focus on:
- Recognising numbers to 10 and putting them in order
- Counting objects to 10 with 1:1 correspondence
- Finding out which group has more and which has less
Our theme this half term is Celebrating Difference. This includes learning how children are the same and in what ways they are different from their friends.
If you want to know more about how we teach in Reception, look out for the virtual parent workshop happening soon.
Parents Evening is happening on 9th and 10th December. Keep your eye on parentmail for an invitation to make an appointment.