Welcome to Year 1!
Below you'll find information on the curriculum for this term.
Your child will have 2 PE sessions a week. One with their class teacher and another with our PE specialist. Please check your child’s PE day and ensure they are dressed in appropriate PE uniform on these days (jogging bottoms/leggings/white t-shirt, jumper and trainers)
1A: Tuesday and Wednesday
1H: Tuesday and Wednesday
1L: Wednesday and Thursday
Year 1 Phonics screening check will take place during week commencing 12th June 2023.
To support your child, in phonics children will continue to learn sounds, following the RWI programme. They will use these sounds to read books appropriate to their reading level.
In addition to daily phonics lessons we will also be sharing a class story with the children every day. It is really important that children become familiar with quality texts as this supports their comprehension and language development.
To support your child’s reading at home, you can help your child by letting them log into Reading Eggs where there are one-on-one instructional lessons, games and books. These learning activities help to reinforce your child’s phonics skills.
You can also continue to support your child at home by having a read of this article from Oxford Owl.
In English, we will continue to read and share lots of high quality texts to engage children and spark their imagination. This term we will be reading fairy tales and children will have the opportunity to innovate a part of the Cinderella story.
We will continue to focus on:
- Developing basic sentence structure
- Ensuring children know when a sentence starts and stops
- Punctuate our sentences using full stops and capital letters
- Using phonics to support spelling when writing
- Writing descriptively and using adjectives in our writing
Our maths learning will focus on:
- Numbers to 40
- Addition and Subtraction Word Problems
Though our topic 3D Design and Sculpture we will be learning:
- To handle, shape and manipulate malleable materials.
- To create and combine shapes to create recognisable forms.
Our whole school Jigsaw theme this half term is on Relationships where children will be learning and sharing weekly celebrations on:
- Knowing how to make friends
- Solving friendship problems when they occur
- Helping others to feel a part of a group
- Knowing how to help others when they feel hurt and upset
- Knowing and showing what makes a healthy relationship
During our topic Significant Events, children will be learning about the Great Fire of London. Children will be learning to:
- To be able to sort and/or sequence events and artefacts on a timeline.
- To use dates when appropriate.
- To be able to communicate historical understanding in simple ways.
- To use simple historical vocabulary e.g. here, now, old, new, past, present, long ago...