Welcome to Year 2!Below you'll find information on the curriculum for this term. Your child will have 2 PE sessions a week. One with their class teacher and another with our PE specialist. Please check your child’s PE day and ensure they are dressed in appropriate PE uniform on these days (jogging bottoms/leggings/white t-shirt, jumper and trainers)2A: Monday & Wednesday
2P: Monday and Wednesday
2S: Monday and Wednesday
ReadingYear 2 readers will continue to become independent when reading. They will also continue to develop learning partner talk when reading so that they can explain what is happening in the text. As well as working on our clarifying skills, prediction and inference skills, children will become more confident answering retrieval questions. With our selection of books, we will make links to our other topics, such as RE, science and textiles where possible. Children in year 2 will be read to frequently by an adult at school, this is to embed and inspire a love of reading.
WritingThis term, children will be writing descriptively and exploring poetry. Children will have the opportunity to write and perform a poem to Year 3 children. During writing lessons, children will be working on:
- Building exciting and interesting sentences, by using devices such as show-not tell language
- adjectives and expanded noun phrases
- Selecting appropriate adjectives
- Handwriting and correct letter formation
MathsOur maths learning will focus on:
- Measurement and Length
In art children will be exploring and creating a range of prints. Children will learn to:
- create their own printing stamps e.g. using polystyrene tiles.
- To explore and create their own patterns, using pressing, rubbing and stamping techniques.
- To use printing to represent the natural environment.
Through our topic history unit ‘Significant Individuals’ we will be learning:
- To study events and people from beyond living memory.
- To be able to sort and/or sequence historical events on a timeline.
- To use dates when appropriate.
- To use different sources of information e.g. artefacts, stories and other accounts.
- To learn about and describe significant historical events, people and places.
Our whole school theme this half term is ‘Dreams and Goals’, where children will be learning about:
- Their strengths
- Learning with others
- Group challenges
- The feeling of success
Information about weekly homework can be found on your child's Google Classroom and in their red homework book. If you have any questions, please contact the school office.
You can visit our subject pages to find out more about how we learn across the curriculum at Sheringham, including our specialist programmes for music, poetry and PE.