Welcome to Year 2!Below you'll find information on the curriculum for this term. Your child will have 2 PE sessions a week. One with their class teacher and another with our PE specialist. Please check your child’s PE day and ensure they are dressed in appropriate PE uniform on these days (jogging bottoms/leggings/white t-shirt, jumper and trainers)2A: Monday & Wednesday
2P: Monday and Wednesday
2S: Monday and Wednesday
ReadingThis term, we will be reading multiple stories from Horrid Henry by Francesca Simon. We will be focusing on increasing reading mileage and continue to build our comprehension skills.
We will focus on the following strategies when reading:
- Making simple character inferences
This term, children will be getting creative and writing their own narrative pieces. We will be focusing on stories in a familiar setting with a clear problem or dilemma.
During writing lessons, children will be working on:
- Building exciting and interesting sentences
- Using expanded noun phrases
- Selecting appropriate adjectives
- Using the correct tense
- Using coordinating (e.g. or / and / but) and some subordinating (e.g. when / if / that / because) conjunctions to join clauses
Our maths learning will focus on:
- 3D shapes
- Revision of previous learning
Though our topic 3D Design and Sculpture we will be learning:
- To handle, shape and manipulate malleable materials.
- To create and combine shapes to create recognisable forms.
Through our geography unit ‘comparing regions of the UK’ we will be learning:
- To read and use maps and aerial photos to recognise landmarks and basic physical and human features.
- To identify geographical similarities and differences between a small area of the UK and a small area in a non-European country.
- Compare and contrast regions and landmarks
Our whole school Jigsaw theme this half term is on Relationships where children will be learning and sharing weekly celebrations on:
- Knowing how to make friends
- Solving friendship problems when they occur
- Helping others to feel a part of a group
- Knowing how to help others when they feel hurt and upset
- Knowing and showing what makes a healthy relationship
Information about weekly homework can be found on your child's Google Classroom and in their red homework book. If you have any questions, please contact the school office.
You can visit our subject pages to find out more about how we learn across the curriculum at Sheringham, including our specialist programmes for music, poetry and PE.