welcome to Year 4!
Hello families! A reminder that children will be sitting the Year 4 Multiplication Tables Check (MTC) in the first 2 weeks of June. Please make sure you are practising your times tables with your children.
A warm welcome to the Year 4 area of the Sheringham website! Below you'll find information on the curriculum for this term and your child's PE days.
Your child will have 2 PE sessions a week. One with their class teacher and another with our PE specialist. Please check your child’s PE day and ensure they are dressed in appropriate PE uniform on these days (jogging bottoms/leggings/white t-shirt, jumper and trainers)
Each class will have their PE lessons on:
|4MR (Mr Mallinson and Ms Rahman)||4L (Ms Leacy)||4R (Ms Russell)|
|Monday + Thursday||Monday + Tuesday||Monday + Tuesday|
This term in reading, children will be reading the Firework Maker’s Daughter - A fantasy adventure story of a determined girl called Lila who with the help of her friend, Chulak, and elephant, Hamlet, proves to her father that she is far more capable than he ever expected. We will continue to concentrate on the following reading strategies.
- Making Links
We are also working on our reading habits, and encourage all children to change their books regularly and bring their Rhomebooks in everyday. We encourage our children to read at home everyday for 10 minutes. Children will also have access to their Reading Eggs accounts, where they can access online books and practise comprehension questions.
In writing this term, we will be writing our own fantasy story/quest with a clear dilemma. Children will have the opportunity to innovate their own characters and setting. Focussing on conjunctions, fronted adverbials and expanded noun phrases.
We will also do weekly revision of the following grammar concepts:
- Fronted adverbials
- Time words
To continue to support the children’s fluency in their times tables, we will continue to practise our multiplication and division facts up to the 12x table using the online programme, Times Table Rockstars. Children will be sitting the Year 4 Multiplication Tables Check in the first 2 weeks of June 2022.
In class, children will be learning to:
- reading and writing decimals (to hundredths)
- comparing ordering decimals and which amount is greater and making links to fractions
- Dividing whole numbers by 10 and 100
- Mass, volume and length
We will also be working on a range of basic fluency skills, where children will be practising their number facts such as:
- Recalling 3,4,8 times table and connecting through doubling
- Maintain fluency in counting in multiples from other year groups through varied and frequent practice
- Practise recalling and using all multiplication tables and related division facts
- Use place value, known & derived facts to multiply and divide mentally including by 1 & 0 and 3 numbers
- Recognise and use factors pairs and commutativity in mental calculations
This term in science, we will be learning about living things and their habitats, and animals including humans. Children will be learning to:
- Classify different types of animals using food chains and food webs, depending on their habitat.
- Learning about the human digestive system, the different organs involved, giving children the opportunity to investigate and experiment how food is broken down in the digestive system by the various enzymes and acids.
In PE this term your child will be focusing on developing a new range of skills during their indoor and outdoor PE sessions. Our indoor PE sessions will focus around hockey, where children will learn to:
- Develop children's ability to move with the stick keeping it under close control and developing speed.
- developing the correct technique to hold the stick.
- Developing spacial awareness how to move into space to receive a pass, move into space to create space for the team mates.
- developing defending techniques to stop the opponent from scoring and regaining possession.
- Using skills in a game situation.
Outdoor PE this term will be cricket, children will learn:
- Bowling techniques
- Develop hand-eye coordination and batting technique
- fielding techniques
This term in Jigsaw, children in Year 4 will be exploring the piece 'Relationships.' Through discussions and small group work, children will be learning about:
- Love and loss
- Knowing how to help others/ ourselves when hurt or upset
Information about weekly homework can be found on your child's Google Classroom and in their red homework book. If you have any questions, please contact the school office.
If you are experiencing any difficulties accessing the content on this page please email firstname.lastname@example.org and someone will respond as soon as possible.